In these waning days of summer, why not let the children in your life get in on the action by helping to plan the next excursion or adventure? We’ve made it easy for you—and them—by highlighting some of the Peninsula’s best options for kids.
PLACES TO VISIT:
- The Shaw Centre for the Salish Sea with over 3500 marine animals, including one very lively octopus this one-of-a-kind aquarium and learning centre offers an interactive, informative and hands-on experience.
- The Sidney Museum contains over 8,000 artifacts, everything from calligraphy and Canadian banknotes, to the renowned 3-month LEGO exhibit.
- The BC Aviation Museum—kids can sit in the cockpit and get hands-on with the history of aviation.
ACTIVITIES TO ENJOY:
- Bowling at Miracle Lanes
- Skateboarding, beach volleyball, and a colourful playground at Tulista park
- Pick up a game of basketball or a tennis match at Iroquois park, and cool off in the splash park after!
- Catch the latest blockbuster hit at the Star Cinema
- Pick out a new toy or board game at Buddies Toys Buddies Toys
- Hop on the Sidney Spit Ferry and explore Sidney Island. Don’t forget your skimboard, and of course spike ball!
BOOKS TO READ AND ACTIVITIES TO TRY:
- Pick out a book at the Children’s Book Shop or at the Sidney Public Library
- Drop in to one of McTavish Academy of Art‘s creative classes or music lessons
- Take a run at Panorama Recreation Centre‘s floating obstacle course or slip down the windy waterslide!
- From Orcas to Humpbacks to dolphins, embrace Salish Sea marine life with a Sidney Whale Watching expedition.
- Rent a kayak or paddleboard from Blue Dog Kayaking or Pacifica Paddle to explore on your own or with a guided tour
- Seek out hidden treasures at Glass Beach on the Sidney waterfront
- Look for seals, river otters, and birds off Bevan Fishing Pier
SWEET END-OF-SUMMER ACTIVITIES:
- Plan a picnic at one of our many beaches or local parks
- Pick up ice cream or gelato from Quince Cafe, Lolly Gobble Sweet Shop or Dairy Queen
Bite into a home-made cookie or other treats from one of Sidney’s outstanding cafés or grocery stores—and don’t forget Sidney Bakery’s famous doughnuts and other delights.